Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Moon Climbs the Midnight Sky

You need to read this. It's the least you can do.

I've been asking myself a lot about the least I can do. Some of you know I've been pressed by this question for a long time. Even more of you know that the question was exacerbated when hundreds of my neighbors, people I don't even know, were devastated by a massive, deadly tornado a few weeks back. You've seen the pictures.

I think you should know that I've decided to do all that's in my power to become a volunteer firefighter here in Newburgh. I tell you this not because I'm particularly proud of myself (although I will say that I am proud), but with hopes that it might inspire in even one of you a crescendo of those feelings which led me to the disaster area that Sunday morning, which led tens of thousands to Ground Zero on and after 9/11, and which now lead me to brave one of nature's most brutal, untame elements simply because I consider myself able and willing to preserve my fellow man's life, limb, and property when he needs these things most.

I have to wait and see if I'll be given the opportunity to go through with this, but if not today, then tomorrow, or next year, or five years from now. My heart and my mind are set in stone. If God is willing, I will fight fires.

There's a lot more I could talk about, but I worked 12 hours today, and as my last post will testify, I have some reading to do.

Tonight, I need not venture outside to seek out the moon in the midnight sky. I have faith in its everlasting glow.

No comments: