Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Farewell to Arms

I want to publish this letter so I can read it whenever the feeling strikes me, but also as a reminder to those special people I left behind in Huntington, should they ever happen upon this, that I meant what I said and I said what I meant ;-)...

Senators,

Serving the students of Marshall University has been an educational and inspiring endeavor through the course of the last year. Even laying aside the countless memories, the strongly-forged friendships, and the endless pages of hilarious dialogue I've taken from this body, there is something profound to be said about the principles of democratic self-government, the sense of duty and fulfilled call to service I've witnessed in each one of you as we've gathered together week after week. There is at least, but most important of all, one common interest that has driven us here: that is the heart-felt desire to propel Marshall University forth in excellence for ourselves, for our fellow students, and for students to come for years after we've left our marks on these halls.

In the short year of my own service here, we've helped to extend the hours of the Drinko Library, proving that student opinions can and will be heard, if only they are voiced; we've worked alongside two university presidents to create a better life for the students of Marshall; we've contributed in many ways to ongoing battles against such student concerns as cancer, poverty, hunger, and AIDS; we've helped empower over a hundred other student organizations in their own equally pertinent and beneficial engagements to this university; and now we've managed to carry this torch into a new academic year, rich with the promise of inspiring and exciting changes for Marshall University. You have the unique and crucial opportunity to shape these changes for generations of students to come. I encourage you to enjoy this opportunity to its fullest, as I'm confident you will, but also to bear in mind the weight of your responsibility. I believe we've already given credence to the fact that we are here to, and we will, make a difference.

And so, as you lead Marshall into a new year, into Conference USA, into a new set of challenges, it is with a reminiscent smile and a tinge of regret that I hereby submit to you, my colleagues and friends, official notice of my resignation from the Student Senate of Marshall University and all relevant committees therein, effective immediately. I will be pursuing my studies at Purdue University, but shall remain, as always, a respectful servant of the Student Government Association and of This Great University.

Thank you for everything, and may God be with you in all that you do.

Yours in Friendship and Service,
Adam D. Litton

No comments: