Monday, October 24, 2005

I Am Not a Journalist

Well, it's been ages. I've been working a lot, and spending pretty much all of the "down time" (if there exists such a thing) reading. I have a lot of things I should be writing about here, but that will have to wait until later this week. I also will probably just take all the suggestions you guys gave me in my last post, but that's also going to have to wait. For now, I just wanted to share this with you.

A Clinton-appointed federal judge actually made a finding of fact that [Matt] Drudge [, maintainer of the Drudge Report,] is "not a reporter, a journalist, or a newsgatherer." Hustler magazine is journalism protected by the First Amendment. Penthouse and the National Enquirer are journalism protected by the First Amendment. Indeed, even the New York Times is deemed "journalism" protected by the First Amendment. The dean of the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism noted with some consternation that "no journalist or journalism organization protested after this federal judge took it upon himself to determine who can be called a journalist.

-Ann Coulter, Slander
So, let me get this straight. It's "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press when it's 1) smut-infused garbage or 2) convenient to the [blatantly anti-competitive] liberal media." (Sadly, the two often coincide.) Really, it's right there in the Constitution. Much-heralded First Amendment. Check it out some time.

No comments: